mrs Mary Gee 13.6.1838 under deed dated 4.5.1838 from the Poor Law Commissioners and the Guardians of Halstead Union, together with parish officers of Earls Colne
Copyhold of Earldom - quitrent 5d
To all that customary or copyhold messuage etc. situate at or near Earls Colne Green, lately used and occupied as a workhouse etc.
Copyhold of Earldom - quitrent 4d - total 9d
and also to that customary or copyhold messuage now divided into three tenements etc. (in the workhouse yard) parcel of the same premises - fine £35
1676 Harlakenden Bowes Jn Eldred jun Jn Cressener Jn Josselin Hen Abbutt jun on surrender of Ann the heir of Francis and Helen Turner - in trust for the habitation and maintenance of the poor of Earls Colne etc.
1758 seized into the hands of the lord - after three proclamations on death of Jn Eldred esq of Olivers last surviving trustee. There has been no admission since that time, but the overseers of the parish continued to use it as a workhouse and regularly paid the quitrent of 9d
446 (446a) Commutation map - parish workhouse 22p
447 (446a) cottage and garden - 1r29p - total 2r11p
These quantities are evidently reversed in the Commutation map both together will amount to the 2r11p
They are here mapped together, both belonging to mrs Gee who has added to the old workhouse and converted it to an infant school. All the cottages she has pulled down under licence granted 30.12.1839 and laid it together as a playground
see above no. 447 does not appear mentioned in Terrier 1598 but is marked in the large map of same date and called Cawche